DMS Maritime Pty Ltd (Registered Training Organisation 90694) is registered by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) to provide quality-assured, accredited training to Navy personnel and DMS staff. We deliver nationally recognised courses which support the attainment of qualifications in accordance with the Standards for National Vocational, Education and Training Regulator (NVR) registered training organisations. Our training meets business and industry requirements by delivering learning and assessment in real working environments, using appropriate vessels; and recognises and assesses prior skills and existing workplace competencies.
DMS’ training satisfies AMSA and National Marine Safety Committee (NMSC) standards. Courses involving offshore work (beyond 100 nautical miles of the coast) meet additional Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW). Our courses comply with three categories of maritime training qualifications:
- qualifications and related units of competency for regulated maritime commercial occupations on vessels engaged in coastal operations falling within the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV)
- qualifications and related units of competency for regulated maritime commercial occupations falling within the jurisdiction of AMSA – Seagoing Offshore Operations
- qualifications with specific sets of units to meet mandatory requirements, such as maritime safety and survival, fast rescue craft operations, sail training and recreational power boating.
DMS Maritime offers a suite of maritime qualifications and statements of attainment that are recognised and accepted by industry and educational institutions throughout Australia. Through DMS, Serco Systems offers young people the opportunity to learn a maritime trade. Our two-year traineeships result in qualifications in the trainees’ chosen marine trades. We deliver on-the-job learning and assessment that recognises existing skills and competencies, and that leads to nationally recognised qualifications. Click here for information about applying for a traineeship.
Maritime training for Navy
We provide vessel operations and maintenance training to Royal Australian Navy personnel, adapting existing training units to deliver defined learning outcomes, and designing new training to meet identified needs. We develop teacher, student and assessment support materials needed to deliver courses and, when appropriate, gain ASQA accreditation. Our vessel maintenance and operations training for Navy includes:
- Small Boats Maintenance Course (for Navy personnel required to maintain seaboats, RHIBs and light utility boats)
- Vessel-specific Technical Training and System Awareness (familiarisation, operation and maintenance training in communications systems, deck systems, electronic systems, engineering systems, and sea boat systems for Navy’s Armidale Class Patrol Boat crews)
- Weapons System Maintainer Training (for personnel required to maintain Rafael Advanced Defense Systems’ weapon and the associated electro-optic surveillance and targeting systems aboard Navy’s ANZAC Class Frigates and Armidale Class Patrol Boats)
- tug operations
- Carry Out Fast Rescue Craft Operations
- sail training
- National Powerboating Course
- RAN Clearance Diving Dive Vessel Familiarisation (Steber 43’ workboat and dive launch)
- Certificate of Safety Training (personal safety, social responsibilities survival)
- Steber familiarisation
- coxswain training
- general seamanship
- navigation training
Partners in Navy training
Hundreds of RAN personnel undergo navigational, fast rescue craft, casualty recovery, general powerboat, Steber familiarisation, boat work and sail training with DMS Maritime every year. DMS Maritime works closely with both national and state maritime authorities and has memoranda of understanding with both NSW Maritime and the Department of Planning and Infrastructure in Western Australia. We have extensive experience in general maritime training, training needs analyses and tailored administrative and maritime training programs.